Diabetes is more than just physical. A rollercoaster of emotions are a part of diabetes itself, and the endless daily demands are an added frustration in your busy life. What’s more is that many factors affect diabetes management, including stress, untamed work-life balance, depression, anxiety, relationship difficulties, eating habits, sleep, disordered eating, and more.
Diabetes and Obesity Treatment Strategies (DOTS) is a collaborative counseling and coaching practice designed to meet the unique needs of individuals with diabetes. At DOTS, we work together to manage the emotional and social impacts of living with diabetes, as well as the difficulties you experience outside of diabetes that are making it difficult to practice good self-care. We build relationships that empower you to achieve a healthy and sustainable lifestyle that is individualized to your specific needs.
Did you know?
- Emotional wellbeing is an important part of diabetes care and self-management.
- The relationship between mental health (including stress) and physical symptoms is well known and accepted in modern healthcare.
- Diabetes distress is a common condition that results from the daily burdens of living with this complex disease. It’s a part of having diabetes itself!
- Depression affects 1 in 4 people with diabetes and compromises your ability to manage your health.
- Anxiety and disordered eating occur at higher rates among people with diabetes.
- Psychosocial interventions, like counseling, have been shown to improve A1C.
Managing your mental health is just as important as managing blood glucose and taking medications! And it very well may be the missing link to optimal control in these areas!
Work with a licensed mental health provider who is experienced in successful treatment strategies for key areas of diabetes management. Develop a customized action plan for creating meaningful change in your both your physical and emotional health. A modern telehealth approach makes online video sessions easy and convenient. Local in-person sessions for the Myrtle Beach area are also available.
DOTS serves all ages of individuals with diabetes as well as parents, spouses, caregivers of individuals with diabetes. DOTS may help you or your loved one with:
- Diabetes distress and diabetes burnout
- Accepting the diagnosis
- Stress management
- Depression, anxiety, and disordered eating
- Avoiding or delaying complications of diabetes
- Fitting healthy eating and exercise into your busy lifestyle
- Effective goal-setting for health behaviors
- Achieving and maintaining a healthy weight
Don’t let diabetes control you or define you! The difference between controlling diabetes and diabetes controlling you starts here.
Take the next step towards REAL CHANGE. Call or email today.
I understand the struggles unique to diabetes. My 20+ years experience with diabetes is both personal and professional. It all started at age 10 when my younger brother was diagnosed type 1 diabetes. At that time I was immediately drawn to the intricacies of managing diabetes and became his official caregiver. Since then, I have had a relentless passion for helping people with diabetes and have dedicated my career to helping people develop their own strategies for effectively managing diabetes.